Grab CVS coupons and let’s get started saving! Did you know you can save tons of money on everyday items when shopping at CVS with coupons?
Here are some tips to get you started.
CVS is one of the BEST places to start couponing, here are some easy steps to get started
1. Sign up for an ExtraCare card.
The CVS ExtraCare card is your ticket to qualify for in-store promotions, like buy any two Maybelline products and earn $5 in ExtraBucks. You can request one of these at the front of the store for free.
ExtraBucks will print at the bottom of your receipt at the end of your transaction, and you get to spend them just like cash on anything in the store.
THE ECB are usually valid for about 30 days from the issue date, but pay attention to the expiration date printed on the ExtraBucks.
2. Sign up for CVS ExtraCare Beauty Club to get 10% back in points, before coupons.
You earn ExtraBucks before any coupons are factored in. Earn $3 ExtraBucks for every $30 you spend on beauty: cosmetics, skincare, facial care, hair care, hair color and fragrances.
3. Join ExtraCare Pharmacy and Health Rewards to earn $5 in ExtraBucks for every 10 credits you earn.
Every pharmacy transaction earns you a specific number of credits.
- Fill a prescription = 1 credit
- Fill a 90-day prescription = 3 credits
- Create a CVS.com account & link a prescription = 3 credits
- Sign up for pharmacy text alerts = 1 credit
- Sign up for email reminders = 1 credit
- Get a flu shot at CVS = 1 credit
4. CVS accepts manufacturer coupons, in-app coupons, email coupons and CVS coupon center coupons.
5. Manufacturer Coupons
CVS accepts manufacturer coupons from the Sunday paper, from print-at-home websites or manufacturer coupons you load to your ExtraCare account in the CVS app. There is a limit of one manufacturer coupon per item purchased.
CVS Coupon Center Coupons
These coupons and offers print directly from the red coupon center kiosk inside every CVS store. To get these offers, scan your card, enter your phone number, or scan the ExtraCare Card upc in the CVS app.
These coupons vary by customer. Some of them are personalized and based on what you already buy, some are manufacturer coupons, and some are store coupons.
TIP: Keep scanning your card until you see a message indicating that you’ve printed all of your coupons for the day.
CVS load-to-card coupons
In addition to manufacturer coupons, you’ll also find CVS store coupons in the CVS app. Once you link your ExtraCare card, click “See Deals & Rewards,” then scroll through the offers and click “Send to Card” for any coupon you want to redeem.
TIP: Most of the store coupons drop on Sundays, and you typically have all week plus the following Sunday to use them.
CVS email coupons
CVS sends bonus CVS coupons through email every Thursday, though not every subscriber gets an offer every week, and the offers themselves vary by customer. In order to receive these offers, you’ll need to subscribe to email notifications once you’re logged in to your CVS account.
6. Head to the red coupon kiosk your first stop inside the store
Remember, you can either scan your ExtraCare card, scan your CVS app, or enter your phone number at the kiosk. When you do, out will print bonus coupons and offers from CVS.
If you skip this step then you are skipping some serious potential savings, since the coupons are often a surprise.
Be aware that some of these coupons are “funded manufacturer coupons.” This is important if you intend to stack, which we’ll talk about next.
7. Use one manufacturer coupon and unlimited store coupons per item.
Stack manufacturer coupons and CVS store coupons on one item at CVS. Plus, redeem ExtraBucks on that item as well.
You can only use one manufacturer coupon per item, but CVS allows multiple store coupons per transaction as long as none explicitly state otherwise, even more than one of the same type of CVS coupons, including:
- Two $3 off $15 coupons for purchases that are $30 or higher.
- $3 off $15 coupon and $5 ExtraBucks® Rewards for a purchase of $15.
- $1 off toothpaste mfr. coupon and a $2 off toothpaste Coupon Center coupon for a $3 toothpaste item.
8. The order in which you present your coupons does not matter.
Regardless of the order in which you hand over your coupons — spend threshold coupons ($3 off $15 hair care purchase), percent-off CVS or dollar-off manufacturer coupons, or ExtraBucks — the discounts will be calculated in the following order: dollar-off CVS coupons, percent-off CVS coupons, and finally dollar-off manufacturer coupons. And percent-off coupons from the coupon center or CVS emails will only discount regular price products.
9. Every ExtraBucks deal has a published limit: usually one, two or four per week.
ExtraBucks promos are limited to one, two or four per household with card.
10. ExtraBucks accrue over multiple shopping trips within the earning period.
Every time you enter your phone number at checkout, you’ll accrue ExtraBucks whenever you purchase qualifying items.
If the promo is Spend $15 on Participating Items and Receive $3 Extrabucks, you can spend $9 on Monday and $6 on Wednesday, and your ExtraBucks will print after your Wednesday purchase.
11. Earn a few ExtraBucks and start rolling to get products for free.
Using ExtraBucks from one transaction to pay for another item that is also generating ExtraBucks is called rolling.
As an example: if the promotion is Buy 2 Softsoap Body Wash, Get a $3 ExtraBucks Reward, Limit 4,
- you can buy 8 Softsoap body washes in one transaction and receive $12 in ExtraBucks OR
- you can buy 2 Softsoap body washes in one transaction, receive $3 ExtraBucks, then buy another 2, redeem the $3 ExtraBucks from the first transaction to pay for the second, and so on.
12. Save your BOGO coupons for a BOGO sale at CVS and get two items for free.
CVS is one of the only national retailers still allowing use of two manufacturer coupons on the purchase of two items in a buy one, get one free sale. CVS Coupon Policy clearly states rules around BOGO Free offers:
- Suave shampoo is on sale for $2, Buy One, Get One Free (BOGO) and the customer purchases two shampoos; the customer may use two coupons for $1 each and pay the applicable tax.
- Suave shampoo is on sale for $2, BOGO and customer has a manufacturer coupon for Suave BOGO. Customer will receive both items for free but will need to pay any applicable tax.
13. When an ExtraBucks promo item is out of stock, lock the price in with a rain check that never expires.
A rain check is a ticket CVS gives that will allow you to get the sale price on an item when it is back in stock. At CVS rain checks don’t expire, which means you can stack it with a better coupon at a later date. Basically, you should hang on to that raincheck until a stackable coupon comes along for an even better deal.
14. CVS doesn’t pay overage when a coupon exceeds an item’s price.
You won’t get money back if you use a coupon that exceeds the item’s value, but you may still use the coupon.
If you use a $2 coupon for an item that is $1.99 then CVS adjusts the coupon value to the $1.99 price, you don’t get the penny back.
15. ExtraBucks must be redeemed all at once.
You’ll forfeit the difference if you buy a $1.29 pack of gum with a $2 ExtraBucks reward.
16. Be prepared to pay sales tax, even if your coupon makes your item free.
As with most retailers, at CVS you’ll be responsible for sales tax on the pre-coupon price of an item when you use manufacturer coupons. But, when you use CVS coupons, you’ll only pay sales tax on the after-coupon price.
Fun fact: sales tax is calculated on the discounted price of the item (after the manufacturer coupon is applied) in the following states: CT, MA, MO, PA, TX.
During a recent transaction, I was able to get Colgate toothpaste free by stacking a manufacturer coupon and a CVS store coupon. I just paid a few cents in sales tax. Worth it.
17. Load ExtraBucks to your loyalty card so you can lose your receipt.
In addition to sending coupons to your ExtraCare card from CVS.com® or the CVS Pharmacy mobile app, you can also send your ExtraBucks to your card as well. In the CVS app, go to “Account,” then “Digital Receipt Preferences,” then toggle on “Digital Receipts.” Next time you shop at CVS, watch the pin pad for the option to send your ExtraBucks to your card instead of printing!
Check out the CVS Coupon Policy.